Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Doce de Junio


Today, I hiked Volcano Mombacho. I took in all the Amazing views and snapped many photos of the landscape and our town from above.
I went with Jen, a volunteer, who is ready to leave Nicaragua and never come back. She’ll leave behind her kittens and her English accent.
“oh its absolutely boilin”
“it cost a biddy fortune.”
“a great big pot and a titchy one.”

She can’t stand Nicaragua and complains about it constantly. Maybe I’m just on a New Experience high, and by the end of my summer here, I too will be ready to leave Nicaragua and never come back. But I really believe the experience is ours to create.

We can either dwell grumpily on all the power outages, the lack of decent healthy food, the outrageous heat, the lack of organization… or we can focus on the unique way of life, the new culture, the laid back atmosphere, the glorious and most welcome rain showers, the colorful buildings and the friendly people. We could either isolate ourselves in our apartment, avoid the busy streets, and ignore the neighbors ....or we could search for adventure, CHOOSE the busy streets, and meet our neighbors, and actively seek ways to serve the country. Its going to be what we make of it.

Running to my Spanish class in 100 degree heat, boilin’ sun, mid-day… I could have turned a ditch into a lagoon with the sweat dripping from me today. Laguna del Sydney. Now I understand why no one is in a hurry.

Well, except for these three little ninas.

1 comment:

Carmen said...

I think Jen may remember her experience with more fondness and purpose than it seems at first. Maybe her complaints represent her committment to help Nicaragua be "all it can be". That said, I love your attitude. Adam is so lucky that you care about him. ok, you're lucky too. I am just glad you see his wonderfulness.
--cmr